BIG NEWS™

So, it's time for my big news.

I am leaving IBM.

There have been a lot of changes lately in the account I work for (ABN AMRO, it's no secret), including but not limited to the fact that the part of ABN for which I work - LaSalle Bank - has been sold to Bank of America (also public knowledge). At the root of this is the fact that IBM doesn't have a contract with BofA, who purchases other banks and integrates them into its own on a regular basis, and I felt my job might be in jeopardy. Also, it's time for me to get out of the house and back into the world.

Several months ago, I noticed a job posting in our local newspaper for a position with the ski mountain. No, not as a lift operator; they needed a programmer for help maintaining and upgrading their central reservations system (and disparate systems which tie into the central database). After months of putting it off (the position was posted for probably 6 months before I applied), I called HR to find out more about the position, and they encouraged me to apply so I could discuss it with the team. I did, and one phone interview and two real interviews later, they made the offer. Last Wednesday(ish) I accepted, and today I gave my notice to IBM. I spoke with my manager around 10am (MST) and my team immediately after. My last day with Big Blue will be towards the end of the month, and I'll be starting with Steamboat on Halloween (I should plan a grand costume to set expectations from the beginning).

It will be an adjustment, for sure. My primary job will involve using a programming language with which I'm only peripherally familiar, so I've got that hurdle facing me (though I'm confident I can pick it up fairly quickly). Also, the new job comes with a significant pay cut, so Dana and I are having to make budgetary adjustments as well. And with a kid on the way too (and the related expenses), there are a lot of changes coming down the pike at one time. But we're both really excited.

I never made it a big secret that I didn't love working for the bank, but it's been a good, stable job for some time now. But I think it's past time to move on. I'm excited about the changes that working for the mountain will bring (among the benefits: free season pass and flexible working hours on powder days), excited to be working with a new group of people (though I do feel some guilt leaving my team of 5 years behind).

And yes, I know that the photochop at the top of this post is kind of backwards (Steve McQueen should really be riding away from IBM and towards the mountain), but cut me some slack already. It looks good.

21 Comments:

Blogger JK said...

Congrats on the new job! Sounds very interesting and I bet you are excited to get out of the house. Nice perks also!

posted at 11:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! Time to get out of the house!!

So does the office turn into the game room!? ;)

posted at 11:46 AM

 
Blogger Cap said...

Congrats buddy! And good luck with the new job.

So are you coming a Rockies fan amungst the madness?

posted at 1:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new job and enjoy those powder days!

posted at 2:44 PM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Congrats, Mark! That will be great to be so close to the mountains!

posted at 5:52 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

Wow, best of luck to you. Best part of a new job is that your new co-workers don't know any of your stories. Like the one where a friends of yours started dating this wicked cool guy whose awesomeness was so radiant that you forced Dana to move to Colorado only to find that his awesomeness was unavoidable and should be admired, not envied.

posted at 6:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome mark - congrats!
Now you can be on site as you write the sequel to Hot Dog... The Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087425/

posted at 6:59 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Thanks to all for the congratulations. Like I said, we're pretty excited.

@Pablo: The office will likely remain an office, but will probably be consolidated to one side of the room to make room for bikes and trainers. We need a workout room. But we also still need an office.

@Cap: We've been rooting for the Rockies all year when it doesn't interfere with the Cubs. If it goes Rox/Red Sox, I'm not sure how we'll cheer. Rox/Tribe? Rox all the way. The Cincinnati boy in me can't fathom rooting for the tribe. But honestly, I just don't care about baseball anymore this year.

@BJ: I have no idea what you're talking about.

@900: The script is ramping up. I still have to figure out how to get my idea of someone perpetually falling down an ascending escalator into the story. Maybe someone in ski boots.

posted at 10:41 AM

 
Blogger Cap said...

Boo to Sox and Rox. This is our year!

posted at 12:01 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Congrats, Mark. I think it is awesome. Digs deeper roots in Colorado. Which is cool. Hey, what are you guys doing spring break (March 14th ish)? If my cousin will be around (he lives in Boulder), we are thinkin' of a rocky mountain spring break.

posted at 1:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, Don't forget to include a monkey on skis in your movie...
monkey + skis = box office gold

posted at 8:14 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you're casting for hot dog the sequel.....

posted at 9:03 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

Keri: Yes. There's a hot tub scene I had you in mind for.

posted at 7:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so you're filming in Steamboat, then.....

posted at 10:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you find some recent college grads to shoot the film?

I hear they actually had some previous experience too!

posted at 12:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, lets make sure we time our releases so that we are not conflicting with box office dollars.

My film, Interoffice-MALE!?! will be released hopefully in May of 09.
A hilarious while thoughtful look at what happens in a high powered New Orleans law firm when RuPaul joins as the new top attorney.

posted at 6:29 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Mikey - we need to talk. I've been tossing around a couple ideas for the climax of my film: The jock who is competing for the girl has to face off against a prodigy the likes of which nobody has ever seen - a record-breaking, daredevil, fast-and-loose ski jumping chimpanzee. I've been considering having the jock go first (to build tension), and then have the chimp start to lose control towards the end of the jump, only to recover at the last second.

Should the chimp land ON TOP OF the jock, or jump right over him? Whichever way it happens, we need somebody to spray the jock with snow when they come to a hockey stop at the end.

Also, the chimp's name will, of course, be "Steve".

posted at 9:24 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

One last thought. To remain topical, we might need to add a torture scene with a certain Peter Gabriel song.

posted at 9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome Mark! Congratulations. It sounds like fun. Hope to see you guys next year!

posted at 9:59 AM

 
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

Have any of you even seen Hot Dog the Movie? This plot line is way off base from the original movie. I believe you really need to have the monkey be from a small town in the middle of nowwhere. The Monkey has dreams and aspirations of becoming king of the mountain. The then name him King Kong. Or Donkey Kong which would combine Steve from the Waterboy also.

posted at 6:40 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

We really need to create a wiki for this movie.

posted at 10:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home