End of an Era
So I'm up late finishing up work I have to get done for IBM before packing up my computers and sending them away tomorrow, and I just sent what will probably be my second-last email to my team.

It's weird. I've really disliked working for the bank for some time now (things really just stagnated, and I haven't really felt challenged - in good ways - for a while now), but I've been with them for 5 years. That's longer than I spent in college! (barely)

A week before I started the job, Dana and I went on our first date.

And I feel like I've grown up a lot (a real lot) in these five years. Sure, marriage can do that to a guy (and buying a house, and having a kid will certainly change even more), as well as moving across the country TWICE! But through it all, my team has been there.

We've never really been close, but five years is a long time!

But I'm very much looking forward to my new job. The Steamboat website has just been given a (needed) facelift, and it sounds like I'll be involved in updating the look and feel (sorely needed) of the online reservation system. And the last time I built a website (for my job) intended for external viewers was back BEFORE I went back to school, with Connell. I miss the creativity involved there (not that there wasn't any with the bank, but functionality trumped usability every time). I'm looking forward to learning a new (programming) language. Working with - and meeting - new people. A clean slate. It's scary and exciting. But mostly just exciting.

And the ski pass - and a boss that understands why flexible schedules are needed - are great benefits to which it would be tough to assign a dollar value.

It's kind of sad to say goodbye to the people at the bank, but honestly, I haven't been a part of their lives for more than two years now, and that's a very strange disconnect to say the least, considering I work "with" them every day.

Getting out of the house will be good. A commute (five minutes in a car though it may be) will be nice. Working at home was a fun experiment, but on a full-time basis, it's just tough to maintain momentum; and I've always been exceptional at procrastinating (as here I am at nearly midnight, like I'm cramming for an exam), which has presented challenges.

As good a company as it is, IBM just wasn't the one for me. At least, not working for the bank as a client - and we really weren't given any other option.

Anyway, enough sappy shit - I have a ton to do. In addition to documenting one final application (one I didn't even write! that wasn't documented when I started!), we got our crib today, along with about six other packages (Garretts, you rule). I built the bassinet yesterday, we get our changing table tomorrow.. I need to hunker down and build them!

New carpet is coming for the nursery on Tuesday, and I start work on Wednesday. The final major things I have to get done to the house before this baby comes - floor the stairs and build a bannister - will hopefully get finished in the next couple weeks. And if I can recruit Wes to come help me (re-)install the doors we've bought/removed, then it's just trim and other details.

Well, and then the 1/2 bath and the laundry room. But after those, I think that's it.

Crap, there are so many projects I can't even count them. Ah, well. Brought it on myself.

D and I are going furniture shopping this weekend (Saturday) in Denver. Hopefully we can find something, because 7 hours in the car to go shopping is hardly my idea of a weekend well-spent. But we need furniture for the living room. What's a guy to do?

Later! Sorry for the long, boring post! Just wanted to let it out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, a long time coming... but good stuff all around! I couldn't imagine you holed up in a home-office forever, thats for sure!

Can't wait to hear about the new job!

posted at 8:30 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Chandler, I can't say I really ever understood your job with IBM. The new job sounds cool. Change is good!

posted at 2:03 PM

 
Blogger Meghan said...

Mark & Dana, I hijaked Greg's computer last night and just learned of your wonderful news! I am just bursting with excitement for you guys as you get ready to become parents! And soon! Please let us know the details and send your new address/numbers so we can get back in touch. Can't believe it has been a year since we talked (Go Miami MILFS -- now Dana gets to join by proxy!!!). Miss you guys! Love, Meghan

posted at 2:37 AM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

What is this "new" programming language? FORTRAN? COBOL? AWK?

posted at 5:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home