Long weekend plans.
So I'm blogging because I took today off, and my current task is to fix the garage door opener (which, I discovered at 4am the other morning, likes to reverse itself for no good reason). Well, in adjusting and repeatedly testing the opener, I have succeeded in overheating it (no big deal, it says so right in the manual), so I have to wait 15 minutes before trying again. I think I've got it this time, though. We'll just have to keep an eye on it. Apparently it will need adjustment "as the weather changes" "throughout the first year". I look forward to that.

Also accomplished this morning - I have framed out (finally) where all the wires are running through one of our closets, and added some crossbeams (there was really no ceiling in the closet) so I can slap some drywall up there and finish the closet. It will be nice to not have insulation falling on us and the smell of coal dust (if you recall, through this closet used to run the flue for the coal furnace, which we removed some time ago). Fixing it up and being able to use it for storage (as a closet!) will be awesome.

I'm also on my fourth (and final!) day of covering the ceiling texture in the nursery. I have to get the dang nursery done before next Friday, when my mom and mother in law come to visit for our baby shower. The first day took about three hours, then the second day I sanded it and skimmed over it again (which took about 4 hours), and yesterday I skimmed over it again thinly to smooth things out (about 2.5 hours). Today it's just sanding smooth, then primer and paint! (Crap, I just realized we don't have the paint for the nursery yet - but we do have it picked out).

Additionally, I have to skim over all the holes in the newly fixed closet and close up the joints between the new wallboard I'm putting up today. Then I'm going to remove the shelves from our other hall closet and get that ready for finishing as well.

The rest of the weekend, I'll be sanding/re-patching/re-sanding the newly fixed closet (it's a slow process), finishing up the nursery (except for carpet - we need to schedule that installation), prime and paint our double closet doors and my office doors, run a switch to the closet door (right now our master closet light just has a pull-cord - I am going to replace it with a switch that turns on the light when you open the door - fancy stuff!), insulate the newly finished closet, hang all the other doors we've removed over the last 6 months, finish painting upstairs, cap our 1/2 wall (and prime and paint the wood for that), install a new light in the nursery, and get all the garbage out of our yard (yes; we are those neighbors).

Good thing I have Monday off too.

Also: Tuesday, look for a big announcement.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you be coming out of one of the closets you finished on Monday?? ;)

Sounds like a busy weekend!! Hope you have some time put aside for Cubs watching!

posted at 10:50 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, you make me feel lazy. I could use you here to patchup the gigantic hole in my garage ceiling and dining room walls. I had to go exploring for a leak that was causing the dreaded "black mold" in the garage. The culprit (and to add to my list of projects that broke something): a brad from the new baseboard in the living room went right through the drain pipe coming from the master bath. Sometimes airnailers are a little too easy.

Miss you man. Can't wait for the announcement.

posted at 8:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home