Best Teacher Ever
So I just found out that my paperwork went through and I am officially a Clinical Instructor in the Department of Pediatrics, on faculty at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

I find this pretty frickin' cool, as I really like teaching and we get a lot of med students coming through the office. I was filling out all these evaluations on them, and they on me, although I was never officially faculty, which sorta made me feel like I was doing a lot of extra work without any credit for it. I feel better now.

I also feel like I should have access to a faculty lounge, because that would be cool. Although that also makes me feel kinda old.

Anyway, with my new-found position of authority in the shaping of young minds, I'll try to stay mature and professional. I'll let you know how that goes. So much for posting drunken pictures on the Internets. :)

Things are looking a bit more promising in the daycare department, and Mark and I will probably be able to meet with this home daycare lady, Kristen, next week. Which is good--the formal daycare, Grandkids, that we are "on the list" for, still has us near the bottom. I just found out that my partner, Sheila, put her 3 1/2 year old on the list before he was born. She just found out that he is actually STILL on the list. And this is the one that gives preference to hospital employees, although not docs, even though Sheila has been the Director of Pediatrics at the hospital for the past 3 years. Awesome.

I'm still feeling well at 36 weeks and 4 days, although my legs get REALLY swollen by the end of the day. It's officially gotten so bad that I'm wearing compression stockings throughout the day, which do help, but make me feel like an old lady. Or a lunch lady. Maybe I should wear a hair net, too.

I'm getting pretty excited for my maternity leave, especially when I see newborns coming in for visits and realize the kid in my belly isn't that much smaller. He's been super active again today--when I was checking out a newborn today and the baby starting crying, my kid started moving LIKE CRAZY. I think he could hear the crying and wanted to extend a little sympathy. Although I am still trying to get used to the idea of not working for 6 weeks. That just seems so foreign to me. I know I'll be busy with baby and sleep deprived, etc, but being away from my job is just strange. Being a pediatrician is too much a part of who I am to comprehend being away from it for a period of time. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but still strange nonetheless.

Speaking of, I was waiting to hear about a patient, just did, so now I can run over to the hospital, check on another kid, and go home for the day. Mark is making dinner tonight, which is also awesome. And baby loves etouffee.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to get one of those mugs that say "#1 Teacher" and have an apple sitting on your desk.

Luckily I did not have to wear any of the late pregnancy socks or support garments. My feet and ankles did swell, but when I was working I sat the whole time. Except for the frequent trips to the bathroom.

Not too much longer, I am sure you and Mark are so excited!

posted at 7:57 AM

 
Blogger Jessica said...

Congrats on the teaching certificate! I agree with JK on the apple and mug.

I am sure the maternity leave will go quicker than you think!

You are definitely in the home stretch now!

posted at 8:35 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

UPDATE: Dinner was canceled due to Dana getting home late. Instead of making my crawfish etouffee, Dana picked up some Taco Bell and I had a sandwich. Tonight is boys' night out so there will be no cooking of spicy food beforehand (for fear of the bathrooms we'll be encountering), but the plan Sunday is to make a double-batch of my chili for freezing (easy meals when baby keeps us up and we/I have no energy to prepare something real). Do the other recent parents out there have other frozen-meal suggestions?

posted at 8:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For meal ideas, check to see if your local schools participate in Market Day, www.marketday.com. They have some pre-made meals and other food that is easy to prepare.

Also think about your slow cooker/crock pot. You can make so many great meals that take almost no time at all.

We were lucky that family and friends brought us plenty of meals, I am sure the same will happen with you.

Just note that broccoli and breastfeeding do not mix!

posted at 7:17 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm... Taco Bell.

Dana, does your newfound maturity and professionalism extend to us? What if WE post pictures of Drunken Dr. Fitz? Is that allowed?

Or what if I tell about the time that you, Fitz and E drunk dialed me at 2 pm during the 10th anniversary weekend?

posted at 6:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few notes that I have learned on freezer meals: you can precook a ton of meat ahead of time & then divide it into portion size & thaw when necessary. You can also could the meat in the crockpot, making it even easier. Every so often I throw 5 lbs of chicken breast into a crockpot with some seasoning (basics like garlic, onion etc.)& then about the same of hamburger into a different crockpot (I have 3 of these things). Let it cook on high for a few hours & the chicken shreds really easily & the hamburger falls apart. Then you can turn the portions into taco meat, spaghetti sauce, sloppy joes, etc. The cooked chicken works well in soup. There is also a book (or a few by now, mine is a little old) called Once a Month Cooking- it has a ton of good recipes. If nothing else, it gives you a good idea of what can freeze well & what can't.

Of course from the things I have read on here, I think you menu's are much fancier than mine!

Also, do you have any of those dinner by design/super suppers places by you? You premake the meals there & then take home & freeze. I actually don't go to those places to make the dinners, I wait until their premade ones go on sale & buy those! (yes, I am that tired.)

Anyway, good luck!

posted at 3:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home