Halloween, work, and mrfixit (-Halloween)
I'm not going to talk about Halloween because D wants to post (with a picture of her belly, even!), so we'll skip the big H for now and let D get back to it later. (pictures here)

So: the new job is going well. I was given my first assignment on Wednesday and finished it up on Thursday, but I made things too complicated and had to scale it back a little (basically pulling a report with different variables - exciting stuff). Otherwise, I've been reading up on the new language I'm to learn (C#, BJ) and messing around with the central reservation system and database (If you've ever called Steamboat to make a reservation - ahem, mom - I can retrieve your info). It's nice to be back in an office (never thought I'd hear myself say that) and I think things will be interesting. Certainly there will be no lack of work, and I'll stay busy once I get ramped up.

D and I both got free season passes (mine doubles as my employee ID), and while I was filling out paperwork at HR I realized that I graduated high school with the HR girl (Maggie Litgen, for the Ramblers who are reading along). I have new employee orientation tomorrow (Monday) for at least half a day, and then it's back to work for me. The team also has high development standards, which is refreshing (it's nice to come into an environment that has standards already spelled out, as opposed to the bank where I tried to institute them and it never happened).

So of course it was this week, now that I'm out of the house, that the dryer and disposal break. As of now, I have identified the problem with the dryer and ordered a replacement (and become intimately familiar with its innards), and woke up early this morning (thanks, DST) and replaced the disposal (which was much easier than I would have expected).

Oh, and we had our first dinner party at the new table last night, and the family "secret" recipe flank steak was a huge hit (and delicious). The nice thing about dinners like last night's is that I only worry about the main dish, which consisted of marinating the steaks all day and throwing them on the grill 15 minutes before we were ready to eat. Other people brought the salad and potatoes. I provided the asparagus but someone else prepared it. Fun times.

That's all I got for now. D will check in later with the Halloween update.

2 Comments:

Blogger B.J. said...

If you have done C++, C# will be no problem. Really the biggest change is the change to Visual Studio and the framework for .NET. We had a disposal issue, luckily I was able to just use a plunger.

posted at 7:06 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

The closest I've come to C# is JavaScript. :) But I'm pretty well versed in VS.NET. I'm not too concerned, but there will be a fairly steep learning curve just to get the syntax and everything down..

posted at 7:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home