Parenthood--It's a gas.
It's about 4 am, and I can't for the life of me remember how to transfer pictures to this page, so Mark will just have to do that later. With all the narcotics I'm on for pain control, my GI system has gone on strike, except for the worst gas pains in the world, which are now keeping me up. How's that for too much information? :)

All in all, though, things are going well. Caroline is still on the bilibed, which sucks because we can only take her out of it to feed, burp, or change her diaper. I think not being able to spend a lot of time cuddling her is driving Mark nuts, so hopefully we won't have too much longer of this. Even worse, because we can't play with Caroline during the day, she is really getting her days and nights mixed up, sleeping most of the day and being much more awake and active at night. Mark set up the bilibed in the Pack N Play downstairs by the TV so at least whoever is up with her can watch that, and the background noise does tend to make Caroline a little quieter. For the past few nights, I've been going to bed upstairs in our bedroom, and Mark and his mom have been taking shifts staying downstairs with Caroline, snoozing on the couch down there when possible, and bringing her up to the bedroom when needed so I can feed her. We're trying to stick to an every 3 hours feeding schedule as opposed to just letting her go whenever she demands, just because the more she eats, the more she poops, and the more she poops, the faster she gets rid of the bilirubin.

We have an appointment with my partner Ron at noon today, and getting her bilirubin blood test prior to that, so hopefully we'll be down enough to stop the bed tomorrow, but I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up in case it is another couple of days. If there's anything this experience has taught me, it's WORLDS of empathy for new parents who, instead of being able to cuddle and get to know their newborn right away, have to keep them in this bed all the time. I'll have Mark post some pictures of our set up downstairs.

As far as my recovery goes, each day gets a little better in terms of pain control, although having a big ol' gas bubble in me belly really pushes against my surgical site and that pain can really be intolerable. But at least it goes away within a few hours. I noticed yesterday that my hands aren't nearly as swollen as they were a few days ago, and although I still have big swollen sausage feet, I think my legs are starting to get back to normal as well. Things are moving slow, but at least they are moving. I spend most of my days with my feet up trying to keep swelling down, and waiting for the next feeding time so I get a little time to hold my sweet little baby. Mark took her to get her blood test today and put her little Bears socks on her feet, since the Bears were playing the Broncos. Since the Bears somehow (seriously, somehow) pulled off a win today, we'll have to wear those Bears socks again to our doctor visit today. (Caroline only wears a diaper when zipped up in the bilibed, as the light makes a chemical conversion in the skin to break down the bilirubin until her liver starts producing an enzyme--usually at 3-5 days of life--that does that chemical conversion for her). So going to get blood tests has also been a big deal, as we get to actually pick out an outfit for her to wear, which is still a novelty.

Oh, and on top of everything, our dryer is on the fritz again. As you recall, a couple weeks ago, our dryer decided to stop heating up, and Mark was able to locate the problem and order the necessary part. Dryer was working great for a week or two, but now only heats when on the highest setting. Therefore, Mark also spent a good part of yesterday researching washers and dryers online. At least it's the holiday season, so hopefully we'll be able find something on sale.

Ann has been great helping out around the house, making meals and doing cleaning. She also made the Walmart run of a lifetime, battling the after Thanksgiving crowds to pick up baby essentials for us that somehow got overlooked. She also took a bunch of pictures for us yesterday as Mark and I gave Caroline her first bath. Just a sponge bath in the sink as her cord stump hasn't fallen off yet, but it was fun to be able to interact with her a little-she wasn't a huge fan of the bath in general, and after it, ate like a mad woman and crashed asleep as soon as we put her back in the bilibed. Still was a bunch of fun. My mom was in Minneapolis this past weekend and kept calling from Babies R Us and the outlet stores asking what else we needed and buying up a storm. Since we really didn't have much pink stuff, I think my mom went a little crazy with that, but what can you do? It's her second grandchild, but first granddaughter, and it's just so fun to see my mom so excited about everything. I can't wait until she gets out here at Christmas.

I think that's about it---all in all, things are going well and I'm still struck by how surreal it is to think I'm a parent now. Granted, I am in my early thirties and this was bound to happen eventually, but it still just seems strange. I love it though! Hopefully we can put up a picture or two from her first doctor's appointment today as well! Thanks again to everyone for dropping us a line by email, phone, or even just blog comments--it's fun to hear from all of you!

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I'm finally in front of a computer, so I had to come here and say CONGRATULATIONS! Caroline is absolutely beautiful and we are so happy for the Family Fitz!

Ann is a champ for battling Black Friday crowds for baby stuff. I raise my coffee mug to her this morning.

Keep your eyes peeled at the mailbox, we may have to find "Baby's First Pirate Outfit" for Caroline.

posted at 5:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline definitely could use a pirate outfit (really, who couldn't?) and every now and then will make a pirate face with one eye open and the other squeezed shut. That's my girl.

posted at 9:41 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

I was gonna write the same thing. Every now and then she scrunches up her face and has only one eye open. I always make a point of saying "YARRR" whenever she does that.

posted at 11:27 AM

 
Blogger deanna said...

Caroline moved me to leave my first comment ever. She is beautiful! Congratulations!!

posted at 12:13 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

Ahh, the pirate days seem so long ago for Mia. That was always a pick me up for me.

posted at 3:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I was just looking at the link to Caroline's album. So cute!! Happy first week, Caroline :)
-Amy

posted at 8:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home