SO TIRED
But SO very happy to be home.

What do I say? The actual story of the whole labor and hospitalization is pretty crazy and would take too long. To sum up--went into labor 1 am Monday morning, 36 hours of labor, 2 1/2 hours of pushing, Caroline's heart rate starting to drop with contractions, which is no bueno, so off to c-section. Followed up with a uterine infection, fever maxed out at 103.6, pain out of control for a little while, but all was well by Thursday night (thank you IV antibiotics and pain meds!), feeling great this morning, able to go home this afternoon with the promise of taking my temp every 4 hours (thankfully NOT rectally) and coming back in if I spike again (which, by the way, is not going to happen). It just feels so fantastic to be home.

Being a mom is so wild. I'm really trying hard to be just a mom and not a pediatrician, which so far is going well--I never listened to her heart or lungs in the hospital, have refrained from doing a newborn physical exam on her, and have done as I'm told with the bilirubin issues--which, by the way, are not all that serious at all--would be VERY serious if we didn't have her on the lights, but her levels are stabilizing and we're rechecking the bili tomorrow morning back at the lab, and there's a good chance we'll be off the lights by tomorrow, definitely by Sunday, so no worries.

I'm moving around, albeit is super slowly because my surgical site is still quite tender and my abdominal muscles are useless right now. It drives me a little crazy to have to move so slowly and need help out of chairs and things, but as long as I make a little improvement every day, I can't complain. Since Caroline was kind enough to come 2 weeks early, mommy gets an extra 2 weeks of maternity leave, bumping me up to 8 weeks off, and not going back to work until mid-January--yea!! Lots of time with my beautiful baby daughter!

Anyway, I was pumped full of IV fluids (something like 5-6 liters during the stay) mostly while the epidural was in because my blood pressure was dropping a little, and the med they started to get contractions going more made me retain a ton of fluid, which I'm still trying to get rid of, and therefore, I really need to go get my feet up. It's about time for Caroline to eat again anyway, but as Mark and Ann clean up our fabulous belated Thanksgiving dinner, we figured I should say hi and let everyone know I'm doing just fine. And have the prettiest baby girl in Steamboat! Thanks to everyone for their well wishes, and we'll be bringing her back to Chicago for those summer weddings, so many of you will get to meet her before you know it! Go Team Fitz!

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Welcome Home! It is the best feeling to finally get that little baby home!! Enjoy every moment with her...the time goes SO fast!!!

posted at 11:04 AM

 
Blogger Hutch said...

Congratulations! Donna says congrats too! Glad you and Peanut, aka Caroline, are doing well now. She is beautiful. Good thing she takes after her mom, but I think all that dark hair might be Daddy Fitz's doing!

posted at 6:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is ADORABLE! And you're a strong woman, Dana! That's a crazy labor story. I'm so sorry about the infection. How rough is that, on top of the 40 hrs. and c-section? We had to do the biliblanket with Colton, too - he was 4 wks early and 6 lbs. - it is obnoxious, isn't it? The bed looks like it might be better, but whatever helps, right? love you guys! Take care - can't wait to hear more - we'll be checking for updates!

posted at 8:31 PM

 
Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

Dana I am so glad that after all the issues you are fine. My mom had an issue with my birth where the amniotic fluid created blood clots. Also I was expected to have brain damage(I am sure this explains a lot to most of you). I will say the biggest thing I ever worry about is the idea of ever having issue with having kids based on that. I am just so glad to hear that all of you are doing great. Though I think it might be slightly better to hear that mark twisted his ankle or something like that just so at least we could also wish him to feel better.

posted at 10:48 PM

 
Blogger mark said...

My neck is kind of bothering me Dave, if that helps.

posted at 11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home