Futbol, baby.
OK, so I don't know how many of you guys know out there about my love for soccer. Started playing when I was 6, 4 years of varsity in high school, 3 state championships, yaddayaddayadda. After I blew out my knee at 16, my dreams of scholarships turned from sports to academics. I think things worked out fairly well, and God bless adult league soccer in a small town. Anyway....

I still like following the US Women's Team. Because a) did you know Mia Hamm and I are great buds? and b) you know you're getting old when your dreams turn into dreams for your children. But I digress.

We've been TiVo'ing the women's soccer games throughout the Olympics, and for almost all of the games, I couldn't help but notice on SI.com or CNN.com the result before I actually watched the game. But once the US Women got into the gold medal match, I spent all of today physically restraining myself from going to any website that might reveal the outcome, and staying away from any radio or TV broadcasts. Seriously--this morning when I went in to round on my patients at the hospital, the game was on in the breastfeeding room at the hospital. I think that's awesome, but I REALLY didn't want to know the score.

So I'm sure you've all heard about the US Women winning the gold. After the disappointment of the World Cup last year, redemption is pretty effing sweet. But I have to say, watching the medal ceremony chokes me up a bit and brings a little tear to my eye. I wish I could've been there. And the best part, the players singing the anthem. I've always wanted to be in the Olympics, since I was 9 years old watching them in LA in 84 (minus women's soccer then!). I know my time is past, but there still is that little hope that one of my kids one day might be able to stand on a podium and sing their national anthem at the top of their lungs. And even if they don't, they can watch the gold medal matches with me and hope for future. Congrats Team USA--it's been a fun Olympics watching you...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Mexico for most of the Olympics... missed almost everything! :(

But what I did see looked fantastic in HD!! I got a bit choked up on a few of the medal presentations that I saw... incredible stuff!

posted at 1:21 PM

 
Blogger B.J. said...

I had the same problem, I did get to watch the Gold Medal game live though...gotta love the Internet. I also sympathize with you loss of athletic pursuits, mine too were dashed around 16. Only difference was mine were dashed because I wasn't very good...knee injuries came later.

posted at 9:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home