Books!
Dana had to be at the hospital today super-duper early, so I was on dad duty for most of the morning (a task we generally switch off at in the mornings).

After getting Caroline dressed today, she and I were sitting on her chair so I could button her shirt and put her socks on. Just prior to this, while we were still on the chaning table she kept pointing to the shelves on her wall and saying "Bup! Bup!".

So we get to the chair and she does her twisty squirm-worm wriggling thing and is pointing up at the shelves again, and keeps saying "Bup! Bup!". So I say, "Books... books". She stops for a second, tries to say it and can't (something like "Bups" comes out instead), so I say "books" again. She stops, points up, and says: "BOOKS"!!!!!!!!!!

I totally freaked out and gave her huge hugs and kisses.

I told our daycare girl, Kristen, when I dropped Caroline off. She of course thought it was awesome, and pulled like a dozen books off the shelves. When I was walking out the door, Kristen kept saying "Books! Books!".

SO FREAKING CUTE.

As far as I'm concerned, this is her first 'official' word. While Dana was in Chicago (before Dave and Keri's wedding), before I got there Caroline apparently said - and my dad will vouch for this - "Obama". And while I don't doubt it (we listen to NPR a LOT, and my dad had just said "Obamarama"), I think it was a mimicry thing more than an intention thing. This morning, she was pointing at books saying "Books".

She's a genius!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Leave it to my kid to say "books" before she says "mama" (without pointing to, say, her feet).

Other genius things--she says "yumyumyum" with a big smile on her face when she's eating, and when I hand her her socks in the morning, she will lay them on top of her feet.

GENIUS!!

posted at 3:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I am still trying to figure out how to open a book...
mike fitz

posted at 3:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome!! :)

posted at 9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home