Game On.
So.

The makin' babies thing is currently on hiatus for the next 6 months or so for a number of very boring, adult responsibility reasons. The good thing about this is that it frees up my year to do some other notable things in my life.

Here's a picture of me one of the times I ran the Chicago Marathon and trounced Hutch with my mediocre times. I haven't done a marathon since spring of 2006, when Hutch and I ran the renowned Fargo Marathon. Which, by the way, was actually really well organized and was a super-fun time. Regardless, in the midst of moving to Colorado, havin' a kid, and various shin-digs, I have, shall we say, let myself go.

So my New Year's Resolution (or one of them) is to run the Steamboat Marathon, which I've wanted to do for the last couple years, but always had an excuse not to. And I just officially signed up. This was the main reason for buying the treadmill--since I'm on call and glued to a cell phone for 1/3 of my life, trying to get runs in is pretty difficult, since, well, running with a cell phone outside really sucks. The rec center in town has a strict no cell-phone policy, so working out on the treadmills there was not an option either, and let's not forget that often my free time to run is when C is asleep for naps or for the night, which does not allow for getting outside for a run. Hence the treadmill--couldn't do this without it. And to be honest, even with a treadmill, couldn't do this without Mark agreeing to help, since some of those weekend long runs can take 3 hours or so, which will give him some good Daddy time with C.

The other thing is just that running has always been my biggest and best stress reliever, and not being able to do it when on call has been frustrating. No more excuses, and Lord knows I could use a major stress reliever with all the craziness of my job.

So there you go--if anyone wants to come and cheer me on, the run is June 7th, and Mark may even run the 10K. We'll see about that.

Wish me luck! Training is no easy thing--I still need to build up my base more (I'll do anything from 0-12 miles in a week lately), and the official training schedule starts the first week in February. At least my cross-training can be on skate-skis, or hey, maybe even snowboarding on the mountain, right?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Treadmills are very effective exercise equipment, but they can be quite expensive. People who have tight budgets but still want the convenience of a treadmill at home could opt for a used Treadmills.

posted at 3:32 AM

 
Blogger mark said...

Spambot?

Anyway. Maybe when D is out on her long runs, C and I can go for a nice long ride...

Whereas Dana's goal is to run the marathon, mine is to summit Rabbit Ears - and possibly ride along with the JOH as they come through Steamboat in July - from Steamboat to Breckenridge, including the Rabbit Ears summit.

posted at 8:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home