Steamboat Springs, motivation, etc.
Dana neglected to mention that we had a nice little care package arrive on Saturday - some good cheer from her future employers, including a very nice coffee-table book history of Steamboat (with requisite awesome pictures, pictured), a couple real estate guides, and a copy of the local paper (which for some reason we're still getting Sunday editions of here in Houston, despite the fact that our three-week trial ended months ago), along with a nice card. Every time I think about Steamboat, I get more and more excited.

In fact, yesterday I used our move as my motivation in the gym (and today I'm paying for it). Remember that horror story from when we tried to leave Steamboat after her interview, and were pounded by the first big snow of the year (back in November)? Well, on our way out of town (after giving up on our second cancelled flight), we headed up Rabbit Ears Pass. "Rabbit Ears Pass" was my mantra yesterday in the gym that kept me going - it's totally gorgeous and I'd love to ride it, but I'm in absolutely no shape to do so right now - which is why it was my motivation for working out (along with Fish Creek Falls, another great area that would make a fantastic ride through the woods). Well, this morning (as a break from the aforementioned cleaning), I mapped the elevation profile of a ride from downtown Steamboat to the Continental Divide Trail, up at Rabbit Ears Pass. As I expected, it's a great distance for a ride (~43 miles), and a hell of a lot of elevation gain (~5000ft, round trip). 5000 feet in 43 miles. And of course, the first half of the ride is pretty much UP the mountain, the second half is down the mountain - so most of that elevation gain is in the first 20 miles.

With rides like that, the weight I've gained in Houston (damn restaurants and stupid heat and restrictive roadways and hostile outside environment) should be gone pretty quickly after our arrival in SBS. Yay!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

You will soon destroy us on the hills!

posted at 12:50 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I rode Rabbit Ears, I don't remember what it was like, but I think that's the way we came into Steamboat for JOH. Does the team still come through?

posted at 3:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! You guys should have a "guest bike" ready at all times! ;)

Umm.. I had to run up and down the stairs a few times today.. that was my workout for the day!

posted at 8:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Pablo... climbing the stairs was about all the exercise I got today! Oh wait, still nursing the broken toe. Pathetic, but true!

posted at 10:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home