Yeah, it was that hard.

OK, I must be getting really good. Remember how I said I thought that the ride was probably between 1500 and 2000ft of climbing (on a 20 mile ride)? Well, I put my little Topo program through it's paces this morning (I had to estimate, as they don't have our street, so I took the route to about where the balloon landed the other morning). As you can see if you click the picture above for more detail: 1935.7ft of climbing.

Dana and I did the ride again yesterday, but this time stopped at the bottom of the climb - as opposed to the middle of it - to catch our breath. We made it to the top without stopping again, but there were about 3 or 4 times in there when I almost pulled over. I'm just not used to the altitude yet (and definitely not in great shape either).

The fun part was the descent, of course. I hit a little over 43 mph, but then got freaked out that Dana was behind me, becuase if she wrecked the only way I could get back to her would be to climb the damn mountain again. I decided that next time, I descend second. :)

I'll probably do the route as a loop at some point - the elevation profile looks like a mirror since it's an out and back route - so we come back the same way we went out, so it's the same on the back half as it was on the front - just in reverse.

We also got a new router yesterday. The trusty old Netgear had been acting up and stunk at prioritizing my VoIP traffic, so I got a new Belkin N1. Quick review - setup was a cinch, everything works great. For some reason I had to recycle everything this morning, but I have a feeling that was more a DSL problem than a router one. We'll see if that continues.

As for the weekend - Dana registered for a race (10k?), I intend to have the kitchen completed, and I'll get back out on the bike again. The annual hot air balloon rodeo is this weekend too, so I'll probably be getting up early to get some pictures of that as well. Unfortunately, because of the extra tourists in town (due to the rodeo) and Dana's race, my plan to take the gondola up the mountain, have lunch, and hike down will be put off for a couple weeks.

We have to go see Superman as well.

That's all for now! It's fun to be back on the bike, and especially fun to be on the bike in a place like this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wowzers! Thats quite a ride! :)

Sucks that your router took a dump - I'm looking for a reason to get a hackable router that you can actually flash Linux onto! Supposedly that makes it the equivalent of a $500 cisco router!

Sounds like a lot of cool things happening in SBS!

posted at 8:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - and hopefully your Belkin is better than the one I got for my parents. When torrenting a lot of big files it basically slows down the router to a crawl... reboot is the only resolution. D'OH!

posted at 8:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home